St. Vincent de Paul Parish 13400 Lorain Avenue | Cleveland, OH  44111
SVDPSVDP
ABOUT ST. VINCENT de PAUL PARISH
 
  • 1922
    - First Masses were offered by Fr. Flanigan for the welfare of the people of the parish. Current church was originally designed as a temporary church, as the original plans referred to it as the auditorium.
     
  • 1924
      - School building is built as an eight-room building. 
     
  • 1930's and 1940's
      - Rectory undergoes some internal renovations and some additions were made as well.
     
  • 1940
      - Fr. Flanigan is elevated to the rank of "Domestic Prelate".
     
  • 1942
      - Property of the Lighthouse and Convent is purchased. The Lighthouse was the original home to the Janitor and his family.
     
  • 1953
      - Church building is expanded, and marble altar is installed.
     
  • 1960
      - Monsignor Flanigan celebrates his Golden Anniversary of Ordination to the Priesthood.
     
  • 1963
     - Fr. William Walsh is appointed the Second Pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish, upon the death of Msgr. Flanigan.
     
  • 1968
      - Fr. Urban Reichlin is appointed the Third Pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish.
     
  • 1970's
     - Blue Room is added to the Rectory.
     
  • 1972
      - St. Vincent de Paul Parish celebrates its Golden (50th) Anniversary.
     
  • 1980's
      - Adjustments were made in the rear of the Rectory as well as the addition of Offices .
     
  • 1983
      - Fr. Edward Rupp is appointed the Fourth Pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish.
     
  • 1989
      - The Main Sanctuary of the Church is remodeled.
      - New Organ is purchased, and new Stained Glass Windows are installed.
     
  • 1990's
      - Living Room, Dining Room, and Blue Room in the Rectory are remodeled.  Also, decisions were made to remodel the Lighthouse so it can be used as a meeting place for the various parish groups.
     
  • 1994
      - Fr. John Manning is appointed the Fifth Pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish.
     
  • 1999
      - The Convent is converted to the DePaul Center. The DePaul Center housed the Kindergarten Rooms, the Latch Key Program, and Offices for the School's Auxiliary personnel.
     
  • 2003
      - The Nave of the Church is re-painted.
     
  • 2005
      - Several areas of the Chruch are repainted, and Carpeting in the Church is replaced.
     
  • 2006
      - The Church Organ is updated.
     
  • 2007
      - Exterior of the Lighthouse is re-painted, and, after many years of fun, the Sunday Night Bingo program ends.
     
  • 2009
      - The Church roof is replaced. Many repairs were made in and around the Church as a result of the damange that resulted from the roof.
      - Mr. Thomas McFadden becomes the first lay principal of St. Vincent de Paul School.
     
  • 2010
      - Parish holds a Parish Fun Day Picnic with nearly 200 people attending. This was the first Picnic since the Parish Festival in 2006.
     - Ms. Denise King become the principal of St. Vincent de Paul School.
     
  • 2012
      - In April, St. Vincent de Paul Parish celebrates its Nintieth Anniversary year.
      - In December, it is announced that after 88 years of educating the youth, St. Vincent de Paul School will close at the end of the school year 2012-2013.
     
  • 2013
      - On July 1st, St. Vincent de Paul School officially closed its doors.  The School Building is currently in use by the PSR Programs of the Parish, and for meeting space.
      - In September, St. Vincent de Paul Parish celebrates the end of the 90th Anniversary Celebration with a special Mass of Thanksgiving, presided by Most Rev. Richard G. Lennon, bishop of Cleveland.
      - On the weekend before Christmas, the Church boiler system suffered a "dry-fire", causing both boilers to be destroyed. As a result, the Church had no heat and limited electricity.  The temperature in the Church on Christmas morning reached 49°.
     
  • 2014
      - In June, Fr. Robert Clancy celebrated his 40th Anniversary of Ordination with a Mass of Thanksgiving and reception.
      - In July, thanks in part to the Rooted in Faith Campaign, renovations get underway for a new vestibule with accessible bathrooms and a Bride's Room. Construction was completed in September.
      - In September, the old boilers that would heat the Church for the last 40 years were removed, to make way for a new, controllable boiler-heating system. Construction was completed by November 1st, which also included the replacement of the water pipe lines that were connected to the boilers.  One boiler now controls only the Church, and a second boiler now controls only the School building.
     - In December, it was announced that Fr. Manning has been appointed as a Delegate to the Retired Priests of the Diocese and a full-time teacher at St. Mary Seminary. The appointment is to take effect June 1, 2015.
  • 2015
    - On June 1st, history takes place as we welcome Fr. Ken Wallace as the new pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish.  His fromal Installation will take place on Sunday, November 1st, the Solemnity of All Saints.
    - Since the tenure of Fr. Wallace, many items have been repaired. added and removed. One tree in front of Rectory was dying, so it was removed. Another tree in the SE corner of the Rectory was removed, to make way for a much-needed air-conditioning system.    For an added sense of security, cameras were installed around the rectory.